top of page

Temporary Status in Canada

Mark & Company can assist you with the following types of temporary status in Canada:

  • Extensions and Restorations (applications from within Canada)
    • Visitor records for Religious workers
    • Study permits for international students
    • Work permits
    • Post graduate work permits
    • Co-op work permits
    • Restorations (for people who have lost their status in Canada)
    • Temporary resident permits
  • Study Permits
  • Temporary Resident Visas (for entry to Canada), including Supervisas
  • Temporary Resident Permits (for people who are inadmissible to Canada)
  • Electronic Travel Authorizations (ETA) – Most travellers from countries not requiring visitor visas (such as Great Britain, Germany, and Australia) now need to be in possession of an Electronic Travel Authorization when travelling to Canada
  • Work Permits
    • Labour Market Impact Assessments and work permits
    • Work permits and visitor records for religious workers
    • Open work permits for spouses of foreign workers
    • Co-op work permits
    • International Free Trade Agreements
      • North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
      • Canada – European Comprehensive Economic Trade Agreement (CETA)
      • General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS)
      • Canada – Korea Free Trade Agreement
      • Canada – Chile Free Trade Agreement
      • Canada – Columbia Free Trade Agreement
    • Self-employed work permits

International Students

Study permits to Canada have become one of the most important ways that immigrants are able to enter and remain in Canada. With a valid study permit foreign students in Canada may (under some circumstances):

Attend college or university in Canada

Work in Canada (with valid authorization)

Be accompanied by their families

Send their children to school in Canada

The completion of a diploma or university degree in Canada may allow a foreign student to:

Work in Canada on an open work permit

Obtain permanent residence to Canada

Mark & Company can assist clients with:

Understanding how the study process works

How to take advantage of the opportunities available with respect to work permits and permanent residence

Finding an appropriate college or university

Preparing applications for study permits, work permits and permanent residence

Providing any other advice necessary for studying in Canada

Although students with study permits may work off campus for up to 20 hours per week (without a work permit), these regulations can be confusing and can lead to students working without proper authorization. Please contact us if you have any questions regarding this issue.

Foreign Workers

There are many ways to come to Canada as a foreign worker from Labour Market Impact Assessments to International Free Trade Agreements. Canada Immigration also issues work permits to spouses of International students and foreign workers. Once in Canada many foreign workers also qualify for immigration to Canada. We have assisted many foreign workers in:

Assessing their options

Preparing Labour Market Impact Assessments and work permit applications

Assisting the spouses of foreign workers in obtaining open work permits

Assisting foreign workers to apply for permanent residence to Canada

bottom of page